What better way to celebrate the quirky characters of Birmingham than with your very own civic pride Halloween costume? Consider it your creepy ode to the city. Or not. Either way, here are some of the ideas we’ve been throwing around for the ultimate Birmingham costume:
1. Vulcan. Yes, it’s the low-hanging fruit of the costume idea world, but it’s so very ripe for Halloween. All you need is an apron, gladiator sandals, and a spear. Or wax nostalgic and carry a traffic torch instead. How you handle the backside is up to you.
2. Birmingham kickball. We know you have a tee shirt and shorts. Grab a kickball and some tube socks. If you’re feeling bold, pack a sharpie and have cute guys/gals leave their info on your ball.
3. Babe Ruff. Ears, goggles, and a red jacket or tee shirt. Practice your puppy dog eyes and your dugout dance. Need a couple’s costume? Add a baron!
4. Bottle & Bone. We’re pretty jazzed about Jen Barnett’s latest project, and it lends itself well to Halloween. Go as both bottle and bone or make it a two-person endeavor.
5. Bacon flight. Speaking of Bottle & Bone, airplane wings and a bacon tee make for a simple but fun concept costume.
6. Dreamcake. You, too, can make people happy as a snack-sized bundle of cake and icing. And Pinterest has plenty of tips for cupcake costumes.
7. Leer Tower. Characterized by its Eiffel Tower-esque blimp dock, the Leer’s ode to obsolete technology is a feature of the Birmingham skyline. In our heads, this costume is mostly about the headpiece, but go forth and create.
8. Miss Fancy. The Avondale elephant wins for original sexy Halloween costume. Tutus and tusks? Trunks up, y’all.
9. Five Points Fountain Ram. Don a vest, grab a book, and buy some horns: Everyone loves a storyteller.
10. Walmart greeter dog. This one will take some explaining – the folks at What’s on Second call the in-house canines their Walmart greeters – but obscure can be a good thing.
11. Zoe mannequin. Start with slicked-back hair, oversized-sunglasses and a dramatic pout. Add draped jewelry and vintage duds to cast yourself as Clairmont Avenue’s leading lady.
12. Birmingham, the shirt. If you’re feeling well-intentioned but lazy, Yellowhammer Creative has just the thing. And since it’s the best Birmingham gear ever, you’ll wear it well beyond Halloween.
Those are our ideas. Let us know what you do with them, and chime in with any Birmingham treasures we forgot.